Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Apple Chicken

I thought I would take a second and post this recipe (which we made for Michaelmas) here. It is very easy, very yummy, and is an excellent fall/harvest meal.



Apple Chicken
  • 6 skinless chicken thighs (I increased this to 8)
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1/3 cup dijon mustard
  • 3 apples -- unpeeled, cored & sliced 1/2" thick
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions (I omitted since I forgot to buy some. Oops.)
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
Heat oil in large skillet. Brown chicken over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Combine apple juice and mustard; pour over chicken. Cover; cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Add apples, raisins and green onions. Cover; Cook 5-10 minutes longer. Place chicken and apples on a serving platter; keep warm. Gradually stir combined cornstarch and water into cider liquid. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve sauce over chicken and apples.

*I served it with Steamed Carrots and Garlic Angel hair pasta:

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds good, but I'm wondering is it sweet tasting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so. The apples themselves are somewhat sweet, and honestly, most of my children won't eat the apples. They *LOVE* the chicken though. Next time I plan to only use one apple instead of three and maybe a bit more chicken for our growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Apple chicken & Apple cake recipes - we made them tonight for an early celebration :-) and they were both wonderful! The chicken wasn't sweet; I used Granny Smith apples and they were very very tart. Might go with a milder apple next time.

    ReplyDelete