Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Polish Sugar Cookies



You may have noticed that there are quite a few Polish saints on the liturgical calendar. Today's feast of St. Casimir is just one of many. I keep this cookie recipe in my cookbook for just such a feast day. These are a crisp, light cookie (think lemon snickerdoodle), and they would be a perfect tea time treat, as well as a perfect companion to some lemon sherbet or vanilla ice cream for dessert. The first time I made them, I was out of vanilla (I know -- a serious baker's sin), so I substituted 1/2 t. lemon extract. I intended to make them the next time with vanilla, but we loved those lemon cookies so much, I never did try vanilla.




Lemon Polish Sugar Cookies

1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar, plus extra for rolling
3 egg yolks
1/2 t. lemon extract (or 1 t. vanilla)
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream sugar and butter.
Add egg yolks and vanilla (or lemon extract).
Add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
Mix until well combined -- dough will be stiff.
Pinch off dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Roll in granulated sugar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake until set, not brown, for 10-12 minutes.



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Those sound really good. When is the next Polish feast day? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming up on March 17 is Blessed John Sarkander, martyr of the seal of confession. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was searching for a Polish cookie recipe in my books today and to no avail...you have saved the day for us as we still have time to make these for our after dinner Saint celebration!! St. Casimir, pray for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound great - being Polish myself, I'm always happy to find ethnic recipes that look good to add to our feasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I got here, but this sounds good. Recommend editing the post slightly, the directions still say to add vanilla, but should probably say "lemon extract (or vanilla)" so as not to confuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading through you're blog for the first time and I love it - Thank you. But I love how you made these "Lemon" Sugar Cookies for St. Maximillan Kolbe since my husband's Polish grandfather spent time in a Siberian prison for fighting in the Polish Army. The whole time he was there he dreamed of lemons and when he finally imigrated to California he got a lemon tree!!

    ReplyDelete